1997 - 1998 Appointment Application
PART I. Print or type only; complete each item. A separate application with attachments must be submitted for each committee to which you apply. You may apply to a maximum of three committees. Applicants to a section's executive committee must be members of that section. All correspondence regarding your application will be sent by first-class mail to your State Bar Address of Record.
1. Name: ______________________ State Bar number: ____________ Nonlawyer
2. Name of committee: ____________________________________________________
3 If you are applying to more than one committee, list all committees applied for, including the above, in order of preference on each application:
4. Employer, firm, agency: _______________________________________________
City: _____________________ Zip code: _________ Daytime phone: ____________
Fax number: (_____)_______________ e-mail address: _______________________
Please add my fax number and e-mail address to my public record. Yes No
5. List prior service on State Bar committees (name, years served): ________________ ___________________________________________________________________
6. List the State Bar sections of which you are a member:
7. How did you learn of this vacancy?
Board of Governors (name) __________
Local bar association
State Bar publication
8. Which one of the following best describes your current occupation?
Corporate law department
Non-governmental legal services organization
Retired or inactive
Other (specify) __________
9. What is the size of your office?
| Sole practitioner
2-10 lawyer office
| 11-35 lawyer
35+ lawyer office
10. Date admitted to State Bar of California: ________ Length of time in practice: ________
If nonlawyer, length of time in profession: _________________________________
11. Fields in which you practice: _____________________________________________
12. Fields in which you are certified as a specialist: _______________________________
13. Other jurisdictions to which you have been admitted to practice:
14. Attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to serve on this committee and what you can contribute. Also, attach a brief resume and/or biography which may include the following information: (1) Business, occupational or professional licenses, (2) Legal and general educational background, (3) Academic, professional or civic honors, (4) Articles or publications authored, (5) Accomplishments of note, (6) Proven commitment to volunteer work/capacity to make expected time commitment, (7) National, state and/or local bar committee service, (8) Professional and/or community association memberships, and (9) Personal and/or organizational references.
PART II. Applicants are requested, but not required to complete this part of the appointment application.
It is the policy of the State Bar of California to provide equal access to all applicants to State Bar entities. The board intends to make appointments that will achieve diversity and broad representation on each entity, and thus encourages the participation of all its members. The State Bar does not discriminate against persons on the basis of sex, race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS) or mental disability, medical condition (cancer), age (over 40), marital status, denial of family care leave, political affiliation, sexual orientation, disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran status. The following information is not required and any decision not to complete this page, or any part of this page, will not adversely affect your chances for appointment. We are giving you the opportunity to complete this portion of the Appointment Application in order to review our progress in complying with this policy and to better evaluate the efforts of our recruitment and appointment process.
Please indicate which one of the following categories utilized by the EEOC best describes you.
|Your age __________||Male Female|
|Asian (includes Chinese, Japanese, Korean and peoples of Malaysia and S.E. Asia)||Native American or Alaskan Native (descended from any of the original peoples of North America.)|
|Black, African-American (excludes persons of Hispanic origin)||Filipino|
|Hispanic (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American)||Pacific Islander (Melanesian, Malaysian, Polynesian)|
|Origins in Indian sub-continents (Pakistan, India, etc.)|
|White (includes persons having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, Russia, North Africa and the Middle East, generally corresponding to those persons not classified into one of the above categories)|
Do you consider yourself to be a member of the gay, lesbian or bisexual community? Yes No
Do you have a disability or chronic medical condition (physical or mental)? Yes No
If yes, is your disability or condition apparent to others?
Please describe: __________________________________________________
If the above designations do not best describe you, please set forth
the description you prefer. You may also specify other diversity factors,
including religious creed or national origin: ______
Even if you choose not to complete this page of the application, please be certain to date and sign below.
Date: __________ Signature: _____________________________________________
1. Type or print clearly with dark ink. Date and sign the application in the space provided above.
2. Include a brief statement indicating why you wish to serve on the committee and what you can contribute, and a brief resume and/or biography. A maximum of three letters of recommendation may also be submitted. Do not submit copies of books or published articles.
3. Submit a separate application and attachments for each committee to which you apply. You may apply to a maximum of three committees, but you can be appointed to one committee only.
4. Staple the statement, resume, and any letters of recommendation, in that order, behind the application form.
5. Make seven (7) copies of the application form and attachments and submit all eight (8) sets of each application as early as possible but not later than January 15, 1997.
6. Make a copy for your records. Mail to:
7. Upon receipt, the Appointments Office will send you a letter confirming the committees to which you have applied. If you have not received the letter acknowledging receipt of the application by January 30, please call the Appointments Office at (415) 561-8855 or (213) 765-1585.